Competition and one-upmanship
The Lord was talking to me last night about the spirit of competition. It is Insidious.
In the world it is rife. At all levels of society.
In the Ecclesia it is sadly transferred from the world.
• In the Ecclesia people are pursuing their own identities and ministries with little thought as to who gave them all they have.
• They often wonder why they falter or their ministries and churches suffer.
This is one reason why ‘followers’ of Yeshua do not demonstrate a difference to the world. They are all competing too.
Competing takes one’s focus off God and takes one away from glorifying Him in everything we do.
It makes us focus on us or the other person and what they are doing. What they have and what we don’t have:-
Those that always need to be at the front of the queue, in the front seats. Those who need to be seen and noticed. Those who need to rejoice in their successes but never giving God the glory for them.
There is competition in the levels and methods of ministry.
Numbers mean something or do they? Size and noise means you are doing better. Followers and friends on Facebook and Instagram give one identity. But who is it in?
Leading groups and defining objectives and teaching without it being to glorify Him have little value.
There is even competition among prophets about who feels they are hearing from the Lord best.
The best test of that is the results and fruit. If none, one probably was not hearing from Yeshua in the first place. Good old latent soul over spirit.
It has become highly popular now to be intellectually challenging and provocative on doctrine, theology faith and the Word. Heresy abounds.
Christ the man takes precedence over Christ part of the Godhead.
Half the time it is to bolster identity in the individuals. It has nothing to do with glorifying God and His only begotten Son.
The church has involved itself in politics worldwide , squawking and competing about their party or leader being better than the opposition. Denigrating in competition what they don’t support.
We identify spiritual content and value in these people idolising them whilst fully aware that their core values and priorities and agendas are often far from being the way of Yeshua.
Big miracles get exaggerated and the small ones get dropped off because they won’t attract praise and impressiveness.
The truth is every little healing and miracle is as big as the biggest.
They are all important to God.
The smallest act of kindness and generosity is noted by Him.
There are thousands of unnamed warriors in the world serving Him tirelessly every day never seeking reward acknowledgement or reputation. Their focus is on Him and not on anyone else. They are doing His will as they have understood His instructions. They are not interested in being idolised or filmed. If the Lord chooses to lift them up from the bottom table to the top one that is His choice and timing. But they don’t try in their own strength to scramble over everyone else.
All forms of worship are special to the Lord from the out of tune little old lady to the trained voice of a top worship leader. If the heart is in one and not the other I can guarantee which reaches the Lord’ s ear.
Form has no value if the heart content is not focused on Yeshua.
Competing only takes the heart in the wrong direction
The last will be first and the first will be last. It does well to remember that.
Mary said ‘my soul magnifies the Lord’ Luke 1 v46
That is our task every day.
Simple washing up or changing nappies or complementing someone can be daily worship and glorification of Yeshua. Taking the dog for a walk or feeding the chickens can focus us on Him.
If you are a follower of Yeshua, you only need need to have one identity that has no need of competition:- His
Here is a little check list
1. the activity or condition of striving to gain or win something by defeating or establishing superiority over others.”there is fierce competition between banks”
3. rivalry, competitiveness, vying, contesting, opposition, contention, conflict, feuding, battling, fighting, struggling, strife, war; informalkeeping up with the Joneses”I’m just not interested in competition”
4. an event or contest in which people take part in order to establish superiority or supremacy in a particular area.plural noun: competitions ”a beauty competition”
• contest, tournament, match, game, round, heat, fixture, event, meet, encounter; More
• the person or people over whom one is attempting to establish one’s supremacy or superiority; the opposition.”I walked round to check out the competition”
• opposition, opposing side, other side, other team, field, enemy, foe; More
The Vanity of Selfish Toil
Again, I saw that for all toil and every skillful work a man is envied by his neighbor. This also is vanity and grasping for the wind.
The fool folds his hands
And consumes his own flesh.
Better a handful with quietness
Than both hands full, together with toil and grasping for the wind.
But let each one examine his own work, and then he will have rejoicing in himself alone, and not in another.
The ultimate competitor is the devil against his arch foe Yeshua.
Don’t model on him.